Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fakeserver and future changes

This is perhaps a bit belated, but I thought I'd give a brief overview of where I think fakeserver should be going over the next several months (i.e., when I find time to work on it). For those who don't know, Fakeserver is a generalized testing framework for the 4 major mail protocols: IMAP, NNTP, SMTP, and POP. For various reasons, I'm actually getting around to fixing problems with it right now. The following are the features I am going to be adding:

Multiple connections

This is a long-standing bug in fakeserver, which I first discovered about 3 years ago, when I started testing the IMAP implementation. Fakeserver uses the same connection handler for every connection, which means the state of the connection is shared between all connections, obviously very problematic for a protocol as stateful as IMAP. In my defense, I cribbed from the stateless (more or less) HTTP server, and used the barely-stateful NNTP as my first testbed. This bug is probably the most API-breaking of any change to fakeserver code: every invocation of the server must replace new nsMailServer(new handler(daemon)) with new nsMailServer(function (d) { return new handler(d); }, daemon). Subsequent to that, handlers are no longer easily exposed by the server, which means all manipulation must be on the daemon end. This causes major changes to SMTP code and NNTP code for different reasons; pretty much everyone else hides between helper functions that act as a firewall to minimizing code changes.

Multi-process fakeserver

This change (which has no patch yet) will move the fakeserver running into another process. I have some working prototypes for manipulating objects across two different processes, but I don't yet have a good IPC mechanism (which Mozilla strangely lacks) for actually communicating this information. As for API changes, I haven't gotten far enough yet to know the impact of multiprocess fakeserver, but the answer will probably that handler information goes from "hard to get" to "impossible to get". On the plus side, this should essentially enable mozmill tests to be able to use fakeserver.

SSL fakeserver

I figure fakeserver needs SSL support--it's common in the mail world to use SSL instead of plaintext, so we need to support it. In terms of external API, the only change will be some added methods to start up an SSL server (and methods to get STARTTLS working to, provided my knowledge of how SSL works is correct). The API pseudo-internal to maild.js gets more convoluted, though: essentially, I need to support multiple pumping routines for communication. On the plus side, though, if the API I'm planning on implementing turns out to be feasible, we should also be able to get generic charset decoding for nearly free, for i18n tests.

LDAP fakeserver

LDAP address book code is almost completely untested. I'd like to see that fixed. However, LDAP is a binary protocol (BER, to be precise). If I can implement the SSL support in the API framework I want to, then it shouldn't be that much more to get a BER-to-text-ish layer thrown in on top of it. The downside is that I'm pretty much looking at using our own LDAP library to do BER encoding/decoding since I don't want to write that myself.

2 comments:

Mook said...

There's always ipccode (the protozilla/enigmail IPC code), if you just want stfin/out/err redirection. Not sure how good of a test suite it has, but it does seem to have something (and enigmail's been using it for a bit). Pity it never made it into m-c.

Of course, I don't even know if that's the sort of IPC you want... (I'm assuming you don't want the chromium kind of IPC currently in use for out of process plugins.)

Freedom in Poland said...

With regard to political and civil freedoms, Poland is 1. Citizens in Poland experience total freedom. The majority of countries in which citizens enjoy expansive civil liberties and political freedoms are representative democracies, in which officials are directly elected by citizens to advocate for their needs and desires. Free countries are often bolstered by healthy economies and high-functioning governments.