Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Eight things you didn't know about me

Apparently it's my turn for these meme, according to taras. Oh yes, and KaiRo too. The rules:

  1. Link back to your original tagger and list the rules in your post.
  2. Share seven facts about yourself.
  3. Tag some (seven?) people by leaving names and links to their blogs.
  4. Let them know they’ve been tagged.

So let's get this show on the road! Eight things you didn't know about me (why eight? Because I like to go one step further):

  1. When I was tested around first grade, my auditory processing skills were rated as "retarded." Possibly related to this fact, I was apparently deaf or near-deaf at the same time, and I'm still rather poor with auditory processing to this day.
  2. I nearly flunked 7th grade biology but got the second-highest grade in my 9th grade biology class, I believe averaging over 100%. Indeed, I probably still recall large hunks of biology although biology is my least favorite core science and I wish I could forget it.
  3. Despite having a high school GPA of 3.99 (where the best grade is a 4.0, and AP credit adds 0.5 to the final grade), the first time in my entire life that I achieved a perfect 4.0 was my first semester of college. My grades have often been littered with scores that just make the next grade level, such as a 93.52 in one year of French, or a 89.50 in Psychology.
  4. Nearly all of my programming knowledge I taught myself. The only languages I learned as part of a class were (in order) Python, FORTRAN, and Smalltalk. All other languages (roughly speaking, Java, C/C++, x86 assembly, PHP, bash scripting, awk, sed, etc.). I taught myself before any courses that used them taught it to us. One day, for Senior Switch Day (a high school tradition), I taught a Computer Architecture lecture covering, in order, how vtables are implemented in gcc, how to use setjmp and longjmp for exception handling, and how to write a stack walker in C. And yes, I do know that I'm going to hell for using setjmp and longjmp.
  5. In 7th grade, I tied for 10th place in the state for the Mathematics League. I personally know 11 of the other people who did at least as well. One of those people I actually referred to earlier in this post. And it's not Haitao.
  6. I was once in a fight in 7th grade. The fight happened like this. Step 1: I was knocked into a bench in a locker room. Step 2: I was knocked over this bench into the lockers in same locker room. Fight over. I don't think I actually bled, but it hurt, IIRC.
  7. For my senior prom, I went with four girls, for a definition of "went" more exclusive than "went in the same dinner/limo group" (there were actually around 12 or so girls in our group). Incidentally, all four girls were Asian, which is fairly representative of the ethnic makeup of my high school (or at least among those I knew).
  8. Because of my speech impediment (or so I've heard), I've been fairly often asked if I'm British. Technically speaking, it's not a lisp—my problems are with r's, not s's. I wonder if people here think I sound British (I certainly don't)?

Time for poking people:

Gary Kwong
Fellow intern and bug triager, I wonder what he's done.
Siddharth Agarwal
His blog has been pretty empty.
David Bienvenu
He needs the excuse to blog.
Jesse Ruderman
For finding so many typos in my blog postings.
Shawn Wilsher
mozStorage writer, and one with whom I've spent some time trying to debug a TB news problem…
timeless
Because…he's awesome?
Saul (whose blog is inaccessible)
Because it doesn't take a computer scientist to know the problem with pyramid schemes.

Hey look, I got through the entire post without mentioning demorkification! Oh cra—

No comments: